Well, the table is set for a fun last day of the National League's regular season, with three teams vying for two playoff spots. And we might not have the postseason picture cleared up until Tuesday. Here are the scenarios based on what happens Sunday, when the Giants host the Padres and the Braves host the Phillies:
- Giants beat Padres, Braves win: Giants win NL West; Braves win wild card; Padres out.
- Giants beat Padres, Braves lose: Giants win NL West; Padres play at Braves for wild card on Monday.
- Padres beat Giants, Braves win (leaving three-way tie): Giants play at Padres for NL West on Monday; loser of Monday game plays at Braves for wild card on Tuesday.
- Padres beat Giants, Braves lose: Padres win NL West because of head-to-head record (13-5); Giants win wild card; Braves out.
Here are the NLDS matchups depending on who wins the West and wild card:
- Giants win West, Braves wild card: Braves vs. Giants; Reds vs. Phillies
- Giants win West, Padres wild card: Padres vs. Phillies; Reds vs. Giants
- Padres win West, Giants wild card: Giants vs. Phillies; Reds vs. Padres
- Padres win West, Braves wild card: Reds vs. Phillies; Braves vs. Padres
-- David Andriesen
For more baseball news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsmlb on Twitter or subscribe to the RSS feed .